Monday, January 10, 2005

Ximeta Netdisk Info and Reviews

I'm helping a friend with his connected lifestyle, and he mentioned to me he has a Ximeta Netdisk Wireless, which I had never heard of until now. I like the premise. His wireless drive reportedly does show-up on his "network", even though it isn't technically meant to be a network device, but should instead be "seen as a local hard drive" by networked machines, a technology they've named NDAS. He hasn't done anything with it quite yet.

I'm also interested in such a device. I need a convenient, reliable backup solution for our Mac laptops. My current plan was to look into repurposing some old computer hardware I have into a linux file server, and see about attaching external firewire drives. If I can buy something off-the-shelf at a reasonable price, that'd be interesting.

Ars Technica has a brief review of it. For some reason, I can't find a date on that article. I'd like to know whether they've fixed multi-user, OSX and Linux support. The issues they've mentioned are big show-stoppers to me.

Has anybody tried any of the Ximeta devices? any thoughts?

update:

Past coverage from Engadget (read all comments)
Past coverage from DesignTechnica
CNET Editorial and User Reviews
Interesting Amazon Listmania overviews competition

I'm seeing various complaints about their drivers.

No comments: